Wednesday 6 June 2012

1:1 My Personal Research Theme

The first decision I need to make on the course is the subject of my Personal Research Theme.  I have been thinking about this for a few days and ended up making a long list of possible themes.  Of course, what this ended up creating was more confusion and indecision.  I have gone from themes such as nature, animals, urban landscapes, through themes based on design movements, such as art nouveau and ended on more emotional themes, such as loss, isolation, etc. 

Fundamentally I have decided I don't want to pick a theme such as art deco, art nouveau or a particular artist as I feel this would be taking an existing design/art source and just extended it.  Whilst I know this is the basis for a lot of designs, I think I want to go from a primary source.  Whilst the more emotional themes are appealing I also do not want to make things so difficult that I keep hitting a block on sources for my designs.  I have therefore decided to look at a more environmental theme and as I have always had a personal connection to the coast I have decided this will be my personal research theme.  As a child my parents took me to the seaside every weekend (rain or shine), I still visit the coast regularly and even studied the distribution of a crab on the shoreline during the ecology module of my degree. 

I think this theme is also suited to starting off quite broad and then becoming more specific during the research phase.  Things like coastal erosion, pollution, the shoreline, the intertidal zone, people at the seaside, the flora/fauna, waves, etc could all be explored.  It is also ripe for studies in colour, shape, texture, etc. 

Now I have chosen my subject matter, I am really looking forward to get down to work and becoming engrossed in creating designs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment