Sunday 4 August 2013

2.1 Opus Angelicanum Study

It has been some time since I last posted as I struggled with a problem in my left eye - first a detachment of the gel in the eye followed by a couple of tears in the retina.  It has all been sorted out and my blurred vision has gradually returned to normal,  albeit a couple of blind spots which I am told my brain will gradually start to ignore and fill in the blanks (quite apt really as that is what our brain does to fill in the gaps in drawings). 

I visited the V&A to look at the Opus Angelicanum on view in the Medieval and Renaissance Gallery and spent a pleasant few hours drawing and taking pictures.  I love this work - the detail, the fine stitching, the naive figures and the colours; although completed in the medieval period it has a modern feel.

Once home I also did some research on-line and worked up some line drawings.  


2.1.1

I painted the images using acrylic inks and gold pearlescent paint as they have a transparency which suits the subject matter.  I mounted all the drawings on A3 black paper, added a page of calligraphy using a quote from Matthew Pope a 13th century chronicler and some other drawings in the style of an illuminated manuscript.  Here is the result:

2.1.2

2.1.3

2.1.4

2.1.5

2.1.6

2.1.7

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you are back to work after Farncombe.This looks very accomplished,fabulous drawing and calligraphy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your eye trouble Gerry. Glad things are better now. I love your illustrations and your calligraphy. Can't wait to see how it develops.

    ReplyDelete